09 September 2019 / Club News

Weekend's results

WRU National League Division 2 West


As anticipated the trip to the Memorial Ground for the first league game of the new season proved to be a tough outing against Burry Port.

From the off, the match was played at a blistering pace by both sides. The Blacks however made good use of the strong wind at their backs to encamp themselves in Athletic's 22 for what seemed liked most of the first 35 minutes. A torrid period of 'pick & go' phases saw home prop Mathew Gower finally crash over for the first score on ten minutes. The conversion was successful by Steff Powell. Play remained within the visitors half for a further 13 minutes when from a scrum 5, the ball was swiftly passed out to former Athletic wing Adam 'Titchbomb' Davies who scored in the corner, another succesful conversion by Powell took the score to 14-0. Ten minutes later a deftly struck 35 metre drop goal by Barnes-Watson extended the home side's lead to 17-0. The remainder of the first period was played in the Burry Port half and after sustained pressure on the Blacks line, Athletic were rewarded with a try by winger Gethin Phillips. 

The second half saw a reversal in fortunes as the visitors pushed hard to catch up. The dominance of the Red & Blacks scrummaging was evident as time & again the Burry Port eight were forced backwards. Burry Port were however awarded a 30 metre penalty, and Powell duly obliged to extend their lead to 20-5. The next 20 minutes saw the Athletic dominate territory and score two well worked tries by scrum half Mathew Harries and lock Llyr Owen. Both conversions were successfully despatched by Brad Roderick. With just one point separating the sides and the resurgence of the visitors attacking play it was looking more likely that a valuable away win might be possible. However, on a rare foray into the visitors territory, the homesters managed to scramble over for another close up try by Andrew Francis. The final seven minutes saw Athletic pile on the pressure with six scrummages within the defensive 22, on each set piece a penalty was awarded to Red & Blacks for a collapsed scrum. Eyebrows were raised when no yellow cards or a penalty try was not considered for persistant infringements, but Burry Port held on to claim the result 25-19.

Next Saturday the Red & Blacks are at home in the first of this season's local derbies against newly promoted Nantgaredig RFC.

WRU Conference West


Druids skipper Will Edwards was delighted that his side managed a bonus point win against a robust Foel second team. The game which was played in great spirit was the first in the newly formed Conference West Division. Next week the boys travel to north Pembrokeshire to meet Crymych 2nds in another tough encounter.

Scarlets - West Carmarthenshire Youth League


Athletic Youth produced a fine performance against their highly rated Burry Port counterparts to claim the points in a dominating second half display. Next Saturday the Youth travel to St Clears for a local derby.

Photo: The first scrum of the game at Memorial Park, pic courtesy of @SueBows



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments